Now that you have found Overeaters Anonymous Silicon Valley, you may want to make sure our program is right for you. Many of us have found it useful to answer the following questions to help determine if we have a problem with compulsive eating and/or compulsive eating behaviors.
Do your best to answer these questions with complete honesty, remaining open and willing to see what they might reveal – it is up to you to determine if you struggle, as we have, with compulsive eating.
- Do I eat when I’m not hungry, or not eat when my body needs nourishment?
- Do I go on eating binges for no apparent reason, sometimes eating until I’m stuffed or even feel sick?
- Do I have feelings of guilt, shame, or embarrassment about my weight or the way I eat?
- Do I eat sensibly in front of others and then make up for it when I am alone?
- Is my eating affecting my health or the way I live my life?
- When my emotions are intense—whether positive or negative—do I find myself reaching for food?
- Do my eating behaviors make me or others unhappy?
- Have I ever used laxatives, vomiting, diuretics, excessive exercise, diet pills, shots, or other medical interventions (including surgery) to try to control my weight?
- Do I fast or severely restrict my food intake to control my weight?
- Do I fantasize about how much better life would be if I were a different size or weight?
- Do I need to chew or have something in my mouth all the time: food, gum, mints, candies, or beverages?
- Have I ever eaten food that is burned, frozen, or spoiled; from containers in the grocery store; or out of the garbage?
- Are there certain foods I can’t stop eating after having the first bite?
- Have I lost weight with a diet or “period of control” only to be followed by bouts of uncontrolled eating and/or weight gain?
- Do I spend too much time thinking about food, arguing with myself about whether or what to eat, planning the next diet or exercise cure, or counting calories?
Have you answered “yes” to several of these questions? If so, it is possible that you have, or are well on your way to having a compulsive eating, undereating, or overeating problem.
We invite you to take the next step and Find a Meeting.
At OASV we have a solution that not only addresses the obsession with food, but that offers a design for living that really works – and we have no dues or fees for membership!
To gain a better understanding of who we are and how we can help, register to attend a FREE “Newcomer Night” from 6-8pm, Pacific time – available dates:
- Thursday, April 29, 2021
- Wednesday, July 28, 2021
- Tuesday, September 28, 2021
Reprinted from Fifteen Questions © 1986, 1989, 2012 by Overeaters Anonymous, Inc. All rights reserved